PHILADELPHIA – The Saint Joseph’s men’s tennis team kicked off play at the Penn Invitational on Friday, with members of the Hawk squad taking on players from St. John’s and Delaware.
There is no team scoring at the event; however, members of each competing team will face members of the same team in each round of the tournament. Individual flight champions will be crowned on the basis of points awarded for victories throughout the weekend.
In the morning session, sophomore Andres Urrea took the first set in his fourth flight match, but eventually fell to Vaidik Munshaw of St. John’s, 5-6, 6-3, 6-1. Freshman Kyle Chalmers also played a three-setter in the fifth flight, dropping a 6-2, 2-6, 6-5 result to the Red Storm’s Freddy Ruiz Acevedo.
Chalmers came away with a win later in the day, taking a fourth flight matchup with Delaware’s Zack Niklaus, 6-2, 6-2, while junior Jason Sisti defeated Evan Andrews in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, in the fifth flight.
Play in the Penn Invitational continues on Saturday.
Saint Joseph’s vs. St. John’s
1. R.J. Del Nunzio / Erick Reyes (STJ) def. Jose Sierra / Dan Barrus (SJU), 6-2
2. Vaidik Munshaw / Gary Kushnirovich (STJ) def. Pierre Brondeau / Kyle Chalmers (SJU), 6-4
3. Michael-John Every / Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (STJ) def. Andres Urrea / Kevin Gates, 6-3
1. Del Nunzio (STJ) def. Sierra (SJU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Reyes (STJ) def. Brondeau (SJU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Kushnirovich (STJ) def. Barrus (SJU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Munshaw (STJ) def. Urrea (SJU), 5-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Ruiz Acevedo (STJ) def. Chalmers (SJU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-5
6. Every (STJ) def. Tristan Boustany (SJU), 6-3, 6-1
Saint Joseph’s vs. Delaware
1. Adam Lawton / Troy Beneck (UD) def. Urrea / Gates (SJU), 6-2
2. Evan Andrews / Zack Niklaus (UD) def. Boustany / Paranjay Malhotra (SJU), 6-3
3. Tyler Flematti / Tim Puterio (UD) def. Clark Ruiz / Sam Cadwell (SJU), 6-1
1. Lawton (UD) def. Brondeau (SJU), 6-2, 6-5
2. Beneck (UD) def. Barrus (SJU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Mike Furr (UD) def. Gates (SJU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Chalmers (SJU) def. Niklaus (UD), 6-2, 6-2
5. Jason Sisti (SJU) def. Andrews (UD), 6-1, 6-0
6. Puterio (UD) def. Malhotra (SJU), 6-5, 6-2