MERION STATION, Pa. – Four members of the Saint Joseph's women's tennis team booked places in the semifinals of their respective singles flights at the 2019 SJU Invitational on Saturday. The Hawks also saw freshmen Ireland Amato and Sophia Amato bring home the second doubles flight consolation bracket title.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• In the top flight, Amanda Nava earned a 7-6 (2), 7-5 quarterfinal win over Cayla Koch of Bucknell to reach the semis.
• In flight number two, Anna Kirk outlasted La Salle's Jazmin Walle, 7-6 (4), 1-6, 10-2, in the quarterfinals.
• Ireland Amato started her day with a win in the third flight, getting past Jill Auteri of Bucknell, 7-6 (3), 6-4.
• In flight number four, it was Katherine Devlin who reached the semifinals topping La Salle's Jovi Konda at love before falling in the semifinals to Taylor Gould of Villanova.
• The Amatos brought home the first hardware of the weekend for the Hawks, holding off Bucknell's Rachel Carroll and Chloe Zilka, 9-7.
• In singles consolation play, Iswarya Vel and Madeline Hill will meet in the fourth flight final, as Vel beat Konda, 6-1, 6-0, and Hill got past teammate Madison Chontos, 6-2, 6-2, in the consolation semifinals.
The 2019 SJU Invitational concludes on Sunday. Amato, Kirk, and Nava are all set to contest their semifinals at 9:00 a.m., with flight finals scheduled for noon. Hill and Vel are scheduled to meet at 10:30 a.m. Visit Tournament Central for updated results and spectator information.
For more news and information on Saint Joseph's tennis, click here to sign up for Hawk E-News.