ITHACA, N.Y. – The Saint Joseph's field hockey team bounced back on Sunday afternoon as the #14th-ranked Hawks topped Cornell, 4-2, at Marsha Dodson Field. Sophomore Tonya Botherway tallied a pair of goals on the day, while junior Cassidy Atchison notched a pair of assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Hawks got off to a strong start on Sunday, earning an attacking corner in the first two minutes. The offensive pressure paid off midway through the first quarter as Botherway scored her fourth goal of the season to give the Hawks the lead.
• Early in the second, freshman Kate Blincoe tallied her first goal as a Hawk; her initial blast on a corner was blocked before she gathered the rebound and went high over Cornell keeper Maddie Henry to double the lead.
• The hosts responded quickly, however, as Taylor Gladd tipped in a long ball from Maddy Conklin and Kirsten Pienaar converted a penalty stroke to draw the Big Red level with less than three minutes to go in the first half.
• Junior Emily Henry put the Hawks back on top heading into halftime, taking a pass from Atchison and slotting it home to give SJU a 3-2 lead.
• Shortly after the break, Atchison sent a long ball toward the cage that Botherway redirected with a diving finish to restore the two-goal Hawk lead.
• The Hawk defense would stand tall throughout the rest of the quarter, turning away four penalty corners in quick succession to keep the game at 4-2. SJU would then dominate possession in the fourth quarter to see out the win.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE
• Two days after SJU and Syracuse combined for just five penalty corners, the Hawks enjoyed five in the first half alone on Sunday. For the day, Saint Joseph's held a 6-5 edge in corner opportunities.
• Shots were relatively even at 11-9 in favor of the Hawks; senior Victoria Kammerinke made three saves, while Cornell's Henry made four on the day.
Saint Joseph's returns home for a pair, hosting #9 Delaware on Friday before Penn visits on Sunday, September 22.
Saint Joseph's (4-1) 1 2 1 0 – 4
Cornell (2-1) 0 2 0 0 – 2
SJU: Botherway (2), Blincoe, Henry
COR: Gladd, Pienaar (PS)
For more news and information on Saint Joseph's field hockey, click here to sign up for Hawk E-News.