MERION STATION, Pa. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team got back in the win column on Tuesday afternoon, cruising past La Salle, 6-1, at the SJU Tennis Complex.
The Hawks jumped in front right from the get-go as Nathans Fioravante and Perrone teamed up for a 6-2 win in the first doubles flight while Scott Battaglia and Alex MacNeil were 7-6 (5) winners in the third to secure the doubles point.
The Explorers drew level with a win at fourth singles, but the Hawks took control of the match from there, winning the five remaining flights to claim the match.
Johnnie Massart put SJU on top once again with a 6-2, 6-1 romp in the third flight before Perrone won, 6-3, 6-4, in the first flight to put the Hawks on the edge of victory.
Andre Fick then sealed the deal with a 6-4, 7-5 win in flight number two. Dan Tan and Beekman Schaeffer added a pair of three-set wins in the fifth and sixth flights, respectively, to close out the match. Tan emerged with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 result, while Schaeffer came from behind for a 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4 win to finish off the day.
“Today was another great team performance; everyone that played had a specific plan going into their singles matches and they all stuck to it,” assistant coach Marc Pibernat said. “A special mention to Nathan Fioravante who won with Nathan Perrone at doubles number one; he is the player and person that every coach and teammate would want on their team.
“I am very proud how this team has competed, especially in the last stretch of the season,” Pibernat said. “They have one more match this weekend, weather permitting, against George Washington. It will be a good match-up before traveling to the Atlantic 10 Championship next week.”
The Hawks will host the Colonials on Saturday afternoon in their final match of the regular season. The Atlantic 10 Championship in Orlando, Florida, is set to begin on April 25.
Saint Joseph's 6, La Salle 1
1. Nathan Fioravante / Nathan Perrone (SJU) def. Nassim Fenjiro / Francesco Mowrey (LAS), 6-2
2. Rogelio Gonzalez / Connor Merrill (LAS) def. Eshan Kanetkar / Luis Janko (SJU), 6-3
3. Scott Battaglia / Alex MacNeil (SJU) def. Andrija Bozovic / Colin Lucius (LAS), 7-6 (5)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Perrone (SJU) def. Mowrey (LAS), 6-3, 6-4
2. Andre Fick (SJU) def. Gonzalez (LAS), 6-4, 7-5
3. Johnnie Massart (SJU) def. Patrick Pascual (LAS), 6-2, 6-1
4. Fenjiro (LAS) def. Kanetkar (SJU), 6-4, 6-1
5. Dan Tan (SJU) def. Merrill (LAS), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
6. Beekman Schaeffer (SJU) def. Lucius (LAS), 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 2, 5, 6
Singles: Saint Joseph's 75, La Salle 59
Doubles: Saint Joseph's 16, La Salle 14
Total: Saint Joseph's 91, La Salle 73