TOWSON, Md. - Saint Joseph's sophomore Amanda Nava posted a victory at the top singles flight as the Hawks dropped a hard-fought match at Towson, 6-1, on Saturday.
Playing at the No. 1 singles flight, Nava battled back after dropping the first set to post a 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (8) victory over Alexa Martinez.
The Tigers would prevail in the other singles matches though and take the doubles point to earn the team win.
"Another match where the score didn't belie the competitive quality play of our Hawks," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "Amanda turned a 4-5 disadvantage in the second set into a victory and then eked out a 10-point breaker. An all-around competitive effort from all players. I am very pleased as we head into the final two conference matches at home."
The Hawks (2-17) have a quick turnaround as they return home to host George Mason at at 11 a.m. on Sunday.
Towson 6, Saint Joseph’s 1
1. Alexa Martinez/Yevgeniya Shusterman (TOW) def. Amanda Nava / Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-4
2. Phoebe Collins/Themis Haliou (TOW) def. Paige Conrad / Madeline Hill (SJU) 6-2
3. Lucy Gloninger/Jessica Assenmacher (TOW) def. Laura Gomez / Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-4
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) def. Alexa Martinez (TOW) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (8)
2. Yevgeniya Shusterman (TOW) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Themis Haliou (TOW) def. Laura Gomez (SJU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Phoebe Collins (TOW) def. Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Lucy Gloninger (TOW) vs. Alex Kramer (SJU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Claire Bedi (TOW) vs. Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-3, 6-1
Singles: Towson 72, Saint Joseph's 31
Doubles: Towson 18, Saint Joseph's 10
Total: Towson 90, Saint Joseph's 41
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP