MERION STATION, Pa. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team dropped a hard-fought match to Duquesne, 4-3, as the teams completed play on Saturday. The match began on Friday, but play was suspended due to inclement weather.
The teams opened with singles play, with Nathan Perrone claiming a 6-4, 6-0 win in the first flight to give the Hawks the early edge. The Dukes leveled with a win in the fifth flight, but Beekman Schaeffer earned a 7-5, 6-2 result in the sixth flight to put SJU back on top.
Duquesne notched another win in the fourth before Andre Fick outlasted his second-flight opponent, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4, to edge the Hawks in front once again. The visitors then took the third flight match in three sets to tie the overall contest at three apiece.
In doubles play, Perrone and Eshan Kanetkar cruised to a 6-1 win in the second flight, but Duquesne rallied for wins in both the first and third flights to win the doubles point, and with it, the match.
“This is probably the match that I have seen this team compete the best,” assistant coach Marc Pibernat said. “I am extremely proud of all my players and even though I know that this loss really hurt some of them emotionally, especially after having four match points in doubles number three and one match point in doubles number one to seal the win.
“There aren't many words I can say that will make them feel good at this point; however, we all need to bounce right back from this loss because tomorrow we have another important conference match against George Mason and as a coach I want this team to compete the exact same way they did today.”
The Hawks will wrap up the weekend with Sunday's tilt against George Mason; play is set to begin at 11:00 a.m.
Duquesne 4, Saint Joseph's 3
1. Nathan Perrone (SJU) def. Chris Corrao (DUQ), 6-4, 6-0
2. Andre Fick (SJU) def. Alejandro Rodriguez-Vidal (DUQ), 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
3. Alex Mascioli (DUQ) def. Johnnie Massart (SJU), 1-6, 7-6 (1), 6-4
4. Drew Akins (DUQ) def. Eshan Kanetkar (SJU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Jared Isaacs (DUQ) def. Luis Janko (SJU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Beekman Schaeffer (SJU) def. Dane Bendel (DUQ), 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6, 4, 2, 3
1. Isaacs / Mascioli (DUQ) def. Schaeffer / Dan Tan (SJU), 7-6 (8)
2. Kanetkar / Perrone (SJU) def. Graham Conron / Corrao (DUQ), 6-1
3. Bendel / Rodriguez-Vidal (DUQ) def. Fick / Massart (SJU), 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
Singles: Saint Joseph's 71, Duquesne 67
Doubles: Saint Joseph's 17, Duquesne 15
Total: Saint Joseph's 88, Duquesne 82