Saint Joseph's senior Laura Gomez posted a victory at the third singles flight against Fordham on Saturday, but the Rams prevailed for the overall team victory, 6-1, at the SJU Tennis Complex.
Facing Tatiana Grigoryan at No. 3 singles, Gomez bounced back after dropping the first set, 4-6, to take the next two sets 6-4 and 6-3 for the win.
Fordham captured the other five singles matches and took the doubles point despite Gomez and Katherine Devlin posting a 6-4 win at the third flight.
"Some bright spots in doubles with No. 3 winning, and a close match at one. Our top half of the lineup with the experience of Isis and Laura, plus the strong play of Amanda challenged a top conference foe, but only Laura put her match away," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "First conference loss for Amanda, who has still not regained her previous form, but if we get all systems firing at the same time, we will start to score more points."
The Hawks (1-14) host St. Bonaventure on Sunday at 11 a.m.
Fordham 6, Saint Joseph's 1
1. Arina Taluyenko/Tatiana Grigoryan (Fordham) def. Amanda Nava/Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-3
2. Genevieve Quenville/Alexis Zobeideh (Fordham) def. Paige Conrad/Alex Kramer (SJU) 6-0
3. Laura Gomez/Katherine Devlin (SJU) def. Gianna Insogna/Nicole Li (Fordham) 6-4
1. Arina Taluyenko (Fordham) def. Amanda Nava (SJU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (2)
2. Maia Balce (Fordham) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Laura Gomez (SJU) def. Tatiana Grigoryan (Fordham) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Gianna Insogna (Fordham) def. Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Genevieve Quenville (Fordham) def. Alex Kramer (SJU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nicole Li (Fordham) def. Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-0, 6-1
Singles: Fordham 75, Saint Joseph's 46
Doubles: Fordham 16, Saint Joseph's 9
Total: Fordham 91, Saint Joseph's 55
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP