Playing at the top singles flight, Nava earned her 11th straight singles win as she topped Erin Chratian 7-6 (5), 6-3. Gomez picked up the Hawks' second point with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Paulina Loredo at the third flight, but the Rams would earn the team win with decisions at the other four singles matches and the doubles' point.
"A close match against a balanced Rhode Island team. We never got started in doubles, but had chances in some singles," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "Good wins by Laura and Amanda and some close chances in Paige and Katherine’s singles, but we couldn’t close out our advantages."
The Hawks (1-11) continue their road trip at Massachusetts on Sunday.
Rhode Island 5, Saint Joseph's 2
1. Erin Chratian/Mihaela Codreanu (URI) def. Amanda Nava/Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-2
2. Paulina Loredo/Tiara Higuchi (URI) def. Paige Conrad/Alex Kramer (SJU) 6-3
3. Halah Davis/Sydney Chratian (URI) def. Laura Gomez/Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-3
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) def. Erin Chratian (URI) 7-6 (5), 6-3
2. Tiara Higuchi (URI) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Laura Gomez (SJU) def. Paulina Loredo (URI) 6-4, 6-2
4. Halah Davis (URI) def. Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Sydney Chratian (URI) def. Alex Kramer (SJU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ariel Haber (URI) def. Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-3, 6-4
Singles: Rhode Island 63, Saint Joseph's 49
Doubles: Rhode Island 18, Saint Joseph's 8
Total: Rhode Island 81, Saint Joseph's 57
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP