ORLANDO, Fla. – A solid doubles performance and a dominant singles showing led the Saint Joseph's men's tennis team past Merrimack, 6-1, at the USTA National Campus on Thursday evening.
“After pulling out a great win at doubles number three to clinch the doubles point, everyone on the team performed exceptional in their singles matches,” assistant coach Marc Pibernat said. “As a coach, this is all I want and all I can ask from my players, for them to fight for every point of the match and today all of them did."
Senior Andre Fick and sophomore Nathan Perrone started doubles play with a 6-2 win in the first flight, and senior Dan Tan and junior Luis Janko sealed the point with a 7-6 (2) win in the third to give the Hawks the early edge.
Perrone then made quick work of his opponent in the first singles flight, grabbing a 6-2, 6-4 win, before Fick put SJU in a commanding position with a 6-3, 6-4 win in the second.
Sophomore Sam Sauter then rebounded from a set down to take his sixth-flight match in a super tiebreak, 3-6, 6-0, 10-1, to clinch the match for Saint Joseph's.
The Hawks also got strong performances from Janko and sophomore Johnnie Massart; Janko cruised to a 6-3, 6-1 win in the fifth flight, while Massart won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, in the third.
”Tonight was a good win for us against a team that did not make it easy for our players, since every opponent fought hard on their match,” Pibernat said. “A great performance by Sam Sauter, who clinched the match for the team at the number six position, winning his first match as a Hawk. It was a great boost for us going in to face Fairleigh Dickinson tomorrow in our last match down in Florida.”
The Hawks are set to wrap up their Spring Break trip against Fairleigh Dickinson at the USTA National Campus on Friday.
Saint Joseph's 6, Merrimack 1
1. Andre Fick / Nathan Perrone (SJU) def. Denis Davydov / Conrad Koch (MC), 6-2
2. Alex Fedorov / Jonathan Garcia (MC) def. Eshan Kanetkar / Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-2
3. Luis Janko / Dan Tan (SJU) def. Alec Mackay / Marshall Wood (MC), 7-6 (2)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Perrone (SJU) def. Davydov (MC), 6-2, 6-4
2. Fick (SJU) def. Garcia (MC), 6-3, 6-4
3. Massart (SJU) def. Fedorov (MC), 6-4, 6-4
4. Koch (MC) def. Tan (SJU), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
5. Janko (SJU) def. Mackay (MC), 6-3, 6-1
6. Sam Sauter (SJU) def. Andre Singer (MC), 3-6, 6-0, 10-1 (STB)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 6, 4, 3, 5
Singles: Saint Joseph's 67, Merrimack 44
Doubles: Saint Joseph's 15, Merrimack 14
Total: Saint Joseph's 82, Merrimack 58