ORLANDO, Fla. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team kicked off its three-match stretch at the USTA National Campus on Wednesday night, falling to Creighton, 5-2. Seniors Andre Fick and Dan Tan notched singles wins to score the Hawks' points.
Creighton got out to an early lead by sweeping the doubles matches for the day's first point. The Hawks would show their resolve during singles play, pushing three of the matches to super tiebreakers, and came away with wins in two of them.
Tan was able to get by Daniel Lopez-Rey, 6-2, 3-6, 10-8, in the fifth flight. Shortly after, Fick battled back from a set down in the second flight to outlast Stratton Brown, 5-7, 7-6 (2), 10-6.
"A huge shoutout to our captain, Dan, who had a good win at number five singles, and to Andre, who saved three match points and ended up winning his match in second singles," said assistant coach Marc Pibernat.
The Blue Jays would go on to take four of the six singles flights, however, to lock up the overall victory.
"It was a tough loss for the Hawks today in our first outdoor match of the season against a well-rounded team," Pibernat said. "Conditions were not optimal for either team due to wind, and it was difficult for us to adjust. I am confident that the team will use today's match to bounce back and put on a good performance tomorrow against Merrimack."
The Hawks will look to bounce back quickly, as SJU is set to face Merrimack at the USTA Campus on Thursday.
Creighton 5, Saint Joseph's 2
1. Nick Campbell / Mac Mease (CU) def. Andre Fick / Nathan Perrone (SJU), 6-2
2. Stratton Brown / Joe Hoff (CU) def. Luis Janko / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-4
3. Jose Diaz / Daniel Lopez-Rey (CU) def. Eshan Kanetkar / Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Campbell (CU) def. Perrone (SJU), 6-3, 3-6, 10-8 (STB)
2. Fick (SJU) def. Brown (CU), 5-7, 7-6 (2), 10-6 (STB)
3. Armando Gandini (CU) def. Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Diaz (CU) def. Beekman Schaeffer (SJU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Tan (SJU) def. Lopez-Rey (CU), 6-2, 3-6, 10-8 (STB)
6. Mease (CU) def. Janko (SJU), 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 3, 1, 5, 2
Singles: Creighton 67, Saint Joseph's 45
Doubles: Creighton 18, Saint Joseph's 9
Total: Creighton 85, Saint Joseph's 54