DAYTON, OHIO - Saint Joseph's sophomore Amanda Nava extended her win streak at No. 1 singles to five games on Sunday with a victory over Dayton, however the Hawks dropped the overall match to the Flyers, 4-1.
Getting off to a slow start versus Dayton's Emily Zargham in the top singles match, Nava rebounded after losing the first set, 7-6 (8), to take the second set, 6-1, and pull away in the super breaker, 10-2.
Playing with a shortened roster for the second match in a row due to injuries, the Hawks put up a strong effort versus the Flyers, but Dayton prevailed in the end with three singles wins and capturing the doubles point.
"Amanda kept her win streak alive after a very slow and inconsistent start," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "A valiant effort by the team, but Dayton had their number."
The Hawks (0-5) return to action at A-10 rival Richmond on March 8 with the first matches set to begin at 2 p.m.
1. Kelly Pleiman/Emily Zargham (UD) vs. Amanda Nava/Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 4-2 DNF
2. Zoe Woods/Natalie Allen (UD) def. Madeline Hill/Alex Kramer (SJU); 6-1
3. Mary Brascia/Kristina Benjamin (UD) def. Katherine Devlin/Iswarya Vel (SJU); 6-1
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) def. Emily Zargham (UD) 6-7 (8), 6-1,1-0 (2)
2. Kelly Pleiman (UD) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU); 6-2, 3-1 (ret.)
3. Zoe Woods (UD) def. Alex Kramer (SJU); 6-1, 6-3
4. Natalie Allen (UD) def. Paige Conrad (SJU); 6-2, 6-2
5. Mary Brascia (UD) vs. Katherine Devlin (SJU) DNF
6. Kristina Benjamin (UD) vs. Madeline Hill (SJU) DNF
Singles: Dayton 41, Saint Joseph's 24
Doubles: Dayton 14, Saint Joseph's 6
Total: Dayton 55, Saint Joseph's 30
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP