LEWISBURG, Pa. - Saint Joseph's Amanda Nava and Isis Gill-Reid teamed for a victory at the top doubles flights, while Nava picked up a win at No. 1 singles, but host Bucknell earned the team win, 6-1, on Sunday afternoon.
In doubles play, Nava and Gill-Reid teamed for a 6-4 victory over Paige Leavy Cayla Koch, but the Bison picked up the first point of the match with victories at the other two flights.
Moving to singles, Nava earned her second win of the season at the top flight as she downed Daniela Bellini, 6-2, 6-4. Gill-Reid went to three sets against Paige Leavy in the third flight, but Leavy pulled away in the super breaker for a 1-6, 7-6, 10-4 win.
"We lost, but it was a much better performance from the ladies as they are becoming more match fit. The score doesn’t reflect the competitive nature of the contest," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "Another solid performance by Amanda and a sterling effort from captain Isis. The doubles point also was more closely contested. Today as definitely a step in the right direction."
Saint Joseph's (0-2) returns to action February 23 when it hosts Fairfield at 5 p.m. at the Springton Tennis Club.
Bucknell 6, Saint Joseph's 1
1. Amanda Nava/Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) def. Paige Leavy/Cayla Koch (Buck) 6-4
2. Daniela Bellini/Sofia Ayuso (Buck)def. Laura Gomez/Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-2
3. Mishi Papich/Sofia Ayuso (Buck)def. Katherine Devlin/Iswarya Vel (SJU) 6-2
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) def. Daniela Bellini (Buck) 6-2, 6-4
2. Cayla Koch (Buck) def. Laura Gomez (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Paige Leavy (Buck) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 1-6, 7-6, 10-4
4. Mishi Papich (Buck) def. Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Sofia Ayuso (Buck) def. Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jill Auteri (Buck) def. Madeline Hill (SJU) 6-1, 6-1
Singles: Bucknell 72, Saint Joseph's 37
Doubles: Bucknell 16, Saint Joseph's 10
Total: Bucknell 88, Saint Joseph's 47
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP