DAVIDSON, N.C. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team opened its Spring Break trip at Davidson on Sunday afternoon, falling to the Wildcats by a 6-1 score at the Davidson Tennis Courts.
“It was a very competitive match, highlighted by Michael Santa Lucia's win at the sixth singles spot in a dramatic supertiebreaker,” head coach Ian Crookenden said. “Davidson is recognized as a potential Atlantic 10 finalist and has a talented, deep squad riding high on their basketball team's success.”
Davidson (9-4 overall, 2-0 Atlantic 10) took the doubles point to start the match, but the Hawks did nab a victory in the third flight, as Peter Dewitt and Johnnie Massart turned in a 6-4 triumph over Yash Parikh and Jack Riazzi.
In singles action, Saint Joseph's (2-5 overall, 0-2 Atlantic 10) earned its lone point of the match through Santa Lucia, who outlasted Riazzi, 6-4, 6-7 (3), 13-11, in a supertiebreaker in the sixth flight.
The Hawks will continue their swing through the Atlantic 10 on Wednesday when they head to St. Bonaventure before visiting Duquesne on Friday.
Davidson 6, Saint Joseph's 1
1. Axel Fries / Artem Khrapko (DAV) def. Tim Stierle / Michael Santa Lucia (SJU), 6-4
2. Shamael Chaudhry / David Hager (DAV) def. Andre Fick / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-2
3. Peter Dewitt / Johnnie Massart (SJU) def. Jack Riazzi / Yash Parikh (DAV), 6-4
1. Khrapko (DAV) def. Stierle (SJU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Chaudhry (DAV) def. Fick (SJU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Thomas Mason (DAV) def. Dewitt (SJU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Fries (DAV) def. Tan (SJU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Hager (DAV) def. Massart (SJU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Santa Lucia (SJU) def. Riazzi (DAV), 6-4, 6-7 (4), 13-11 (STB)
Singles: Davidson 71, Saint Joseph's 33
Doubles: Davidson 16, Saint Joseph's 12
Total: Davidson 87, Saint Joseph's 45