DAVIDSON, N.C. - Saint Joseph's freshman Amanda Nava earned a victory at the top singles flight as the Hawks's women's tennis team fell at Atlantic 10 rival Davidson, 6-1, on Sunday.
Playing at No. 1 singles, Nava dropped the opening set, 3-6, but fought back for a 6-1 win in the second set and earned a 10-5 victory in the super breaker.
Davidson would earn the team win though, picking up victories at the other five singles flights and the doubles point.
"A convincing win for Davidson, one of the conference premier teams," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "Amanda Nava won a big battle at the number one spot and is rapidly propelling herself to be considered top rookie. Her 10-5 win in the super breaker was convincing and well deserved. Our ladies are ready to do battle with St Bonaventure and are improving their play with every contest."
The Hawks (0-7) are back in action on Wednesday at St. Bonaventure.
Davidson 6, SJU 1
1. Anna C. Feaster/Megan Scholvinck (DAV) def. Amanda Nava/Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-1
2. Samantha Armas/Alyssa Hahn (DAV) def. Laura Gomez/Lourdes Sprinckmoller (SJU) 6-3
3. Ava Todd/Gabrielle Centenari (DAV) def. Maureen Devlin/Iswarya Vel (SJU) 6-2
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) def. Anna C. Feaster (DAV) 3-6, 6-1, 10-5
2. Megan Scholvinck (DAV) def. Laura Gomez (SJU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Alexandra Abele (DAV) def. Maureen Devlin (SJU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Lindsay Song (DAV) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ava Todd (DAV) def. Lourdes Sprinckmoller (SJU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Alyssa Hahn (DAV) def. Madeline Hill (SJU) 6-1, 6-1
Singles: Saint Joseph's 32, Davidson 73
Doubles: Saint Joseph's 6, Davidson 18
Total: Saint Joseph's 38, Davidson 91
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's soccer with Hawk E-News – SIGN UP