MEDIA, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team notched its first dual match victory of 2018 on Saturday with a 5-2 triumph over St. Francis (N.Y.) at Springton Indoor Tennis Club.
Saint Joseph's (1-2) kicked things off with a sweep of the doubles matches to earn the day's first point. Senior Tim Stierle and sophomore Beekman Schaeffer earned a 6-3 win in the first flight, while senior Nick Ringle and junior Andre Fick gutted out a 7-6 (5) second-flight result and senior Peter Dewitt teamed up with Freshman Johnnie Massart to win at love in the third.
St. Francis (1-7) would claim a pair of singles points, as the Terriers won the first two singles flights, but the Hawks put away the team victory with straight-sets wins in flights three through six.
Dewitt was a 6-3, 6-3 victor in the third flight, while junior Dan Tan posted a 6-4, 6-3 win in the fourth. Massart then put away his fifth flight opponent, 6-0, 6-2, before junior Michael Santa Lucia won his sixth-flight contest, 6-4, 7-6 (5).
"It was great to get into the win column starting with a sweep in the doubles," head coach Ian Crookenden said. "Tough matches showed that the boys are getting a little more match-fit, but there's still a long way to go."
The Hawks will look to even their spring record next Sunday, February 18, in a match at Saint Peter's.
Saint Joseph's 5, St. Francis (N.Y.) 2
1. Beekman Schaeffer / Tim Stierle (SJU) def. Pablo Blasco-Torres / Javier Navarro (SFC), 6-3
2. Andre Fick / Nick Ringle (SJU) def. Guillermo Artiz / Daniel Blasco (SFC), 7-6 (5)
3. Peter Dewitt / Johnnie Massart (SJU) def. Tim Cecere / Josh Halperin (SFC), 6-0
1. Alejandro Ridruejo (SFC) def. Stierle (SJU), 3-6, 7-5, 11-9 (STB)
2. Navarro (SFC) def. Schaeffer (SJU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Dewitt (SJU) def. Artiz (SFC), 6-3, 6-3
4. Dan Tan (SJU) def. Francisco Adolfo Blanco (SFC), 6-4, 6-3
5. Massart (SJU) def. Stefan Gmijovic (SFC), 6-0, 6-2
6. Michael Santa Lucia (SJU) def. D. Blasco (SFC), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
Singles: Saint Joseph's 68, St. Francis 48
Doubles: Saint Joseph's 19, St. Francis 9
Total: Saint Joseph's 87, St. Francis 57