MEDIA, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team kicked off its spring slate on Saturday night, but ultimately fell to Navy, 5-2, at the Springton Indoor Tennis Club.
The Midshipmen took the early lead with a pair of doubles victories, but junior Dan Tan and sophomore Beekman Schaeffer did come away with a 6-2 win in the second doubles flight to keep things close.
Senior Peter Dewitt and junior Andre Fick earned singles victories on the night, but Navy would win four of the six flights to secure the match. Dewitt came from behind to earn a 2-6, 6-4, 11-9 supertiebreaker win in the second flight, while Fick triumphed in a supertiebreaker as well, 6-2, 5-7, 10-6, in the fifth.
"A mentally and physically tough team Navy proved too match fit for our squad in the season opener," head coach Ian Crookenden said. "Good performances from Peter and Andre kept us on the scoreboard."
The Hawks will look to bounce back quickly, as they head to Delaware for a road match on Sunday. Play is slated to begin at noon.
Navy 5, Saint Joseph's 2
1. Zach Jennings / Andrey Majkic (USNA) def. Peter Dewitt / Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-3
2. Beekman Schaeffer / Dan Tan (SJU) def. Romesh Kahatapitiya / Joshua Martin (USNA), 6-2
3. Cameron Kirkpatrick / Peter Lohrbach (USNA) def. Andre Fick / Luis Janko (SJU), 6-2
1. Jennings (USNA) def. Schaeffer (SJU), 7-5, 6-2
2. Dewitt (SJU) def. Lohrbach (USNA), 2-6, 6-4, 11-9 (STB)
3. Kahatapitiya (USNA) def. Massart (SJU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Majkic (USNA) def. Tan (SJU), 7-6 (5), 6-2
5. Fick (SJU) def. Martin (USNA), 6-2, 5-7, 10-6 (STB)
6. Kirkpatrick (USNA) def. Janko (SJU), 6-4, 6-0
Singles: Navy 69, Saint Joseph's 48
Doubles: Navy 14, Saint Joseph's 11
Total: Navy 83, Saint Joseph's 59