Men's Basketball Falls to Fairfleld on Late Three-Pointer, 60-57
Courtesy: SJU Athletic Communications  
Release:  12/22/2012

Dec. 22, 2012

Box Score

PHILADELPHIA - Derek Needham's three-pointer with 16 seconds to play proved to be the gamewinner for Fairfield (8-5) as it defeated Saint Joseph's (5-4), 60-57, in men's basketball action at Hagan Arena.

With Saint Joseph's leading, 57-56, after a free throw by Chris Wilson at :30, Fairfield called a timeout and Needham hit his shot from well beyond the top of the key. On the Hawks' next possession, Wilson drove but was whistled for an offensive foul at 7.2 seconds to play. Needham iced the game making the second of two free throws with 5.9 seconds left and the Hawks had a final shot, but a running jumper by Carl Jones was off the mark.

Ronald Roberts, Jr., led Saint Joseph's with 19 points and 11 rebounds, while Langston Galloway scored 15 and C.J. Aiken added 13 points.

Needham led all scorers with 24 points on 8-for-15 shooting, including a 5-for-9 effort from three-point range. Amadou Sidibe added 10 points.

The Hawks struggled offensively from the start, shooting just 30 percent in the opening half and falling behind by as much as 28-20 with 2:57 to play. Saint Joseph's scored seven consecutive points to end the half and trailed 28-27 at halftime.

The second half featured 10 lead changes and five ties with Fairfield holding a 43-37 lead at 12:36. The Hawks tied it, 43-43, on a pair of free throws by Wilson and the teams would continue to trade leads. A layup by Roberts gave the Hawks a 51-50 edge, but Marcus Gilbert connected on a three-pointer at 5:05 to put the Stags back up, 53-51.

"There were too many loose plays. We're just struggling offensively. Sixty points is 60 points," said Hawk coach Phil Martelli. "We're in a dead struggle offensively and we have been for the first part of the year. They'll take a break, go home and see their families and we'll come back on Wednesday and figure it out."

Aiken's three-pointer gave the Hawks a 54-53 lead at 4:38, but both teams went scoreless for the next two minutes until another three by Gilbert gave Fairfield a 56-54 lead at 2:12. Saint Joseph's tied it one more time, 56-56, on a pair of free throws by Carl Jones.

The Hawks take a break for the holiday and return to action hosting Iona on Friday, December 28 at 7 p.m.