Men's Basketball Falls at Boston University, 85-79
Courtesy: SJU Athletic Communications  
Release:  12/21/2010

Dec. 21, 2010

Box Score

BOSTON - Boston University used a 27-6 run over a nine-minute stretch in the second half to earn an 85-79 win over the Saint Joseph's men's basketball team on Tuesday night at BU's Agganis Arena. Freshman Ronald Roberts also chipped in with 10 points in 14 minutes of action.

Saint Joseph's (3-8) led by a point at the break and built a 12-point lead midway through the second stanza, but the Terriers clawed back over the final 10-plus minutes to emerge with the victory.

After the teams went back and forth for much of the first half, Saint Joseph's looked as if it was going to break open the game. In a three-minute span Roberts had two dunks and a layup off feeds from Jones, with the last one giving the Hawks a 39-30 lead at 2:35. But the Terriers proceeded to score the final eight points of the frame, four of them from Holland, to cut the SJU lead to 39-38 at halftime.

Galloway and Jones came out of the tunnel on a mission, combining to score 14 of SJU's first 18 points in the second half and staking their team to a four-point advantage with 11:55 to go in the game.

Leading 57-53, the Hawks then scored eight straight points, with three-pointers by freshman Patrick Swilling and Galloway to give the Hawks their biggest lead of the game, 65-53, with 10:34 to play.

Boston University (5-7) countered with 10 consecutive points, keyed by two threes by Darryl Partin, to cut it to 65-63 with 8:55 remaining, before finishing a 14-5 run to tie the score at 67-67 on a layup by D.J. Irving with 6:11 to play.

Freshman C.J. Aiken hit a pair of free throws to put the Hawks back on top with less than six to go before Dom Morris hit one of his own for BU to make it a one-point game. Jones added a pair from the stripe with 4:30 remaining to extend the margin to three before John Holland's jumper 15 seconds later cut it back to one.

The Terriers took their first lead of the half, 73-71, on a three by Jake O'Brien with 3:18 remaining, and would increase it to 80-71 on free throws by Holland and Irving and a three by Partin.

Five consecutive points from Jones cut the deficit to 80-76, but Holland hit two free throws at :35 to give the Terriers the 82-76 lead. BU salted the game away from the line while Galloway added a three-pointer with nine seconds left to set the final margin.

Partin led all scorers, pouring in 29 points for the Terriers. Holland (19) and O'Brien (11) also scored in double figures for the hosts.

The Hawks will take a week off for the Christmas holiday before returning to Massachusetts next Tuesday night for a 7:05 p.m. contest with Holy Cross at the Hart Center in Worcester. The game will be carried on WNTP 990 AM.