Hawks Fall to Davidson in Overtime, 100-94
Courtesy: SJU Athletic Communications  
Release:  11/26/2005

Nov. 26, 2005

Box Score

DAVIDSON, NC - Despite a game-high 25 points from Chet Stachitas, Saint Joseph's fell to Davidson, 100-94, in overtime, in a hard fought non-conference game at Belk Arena. It is the Hawks' first loss of the year (2-1), while Davidson improves to 2-1.

The game had a few lead changes and ties, and saw both teams shoot over 80 percent from the foul line, while taking a combined 68 free throws.

SJU's Dave Mallon sent the game into overtime with a 3-point field goal at the buzzer.

Trailing 75-70 with 1:28 left in regulation, SJU converted quickly on each possession and continued to send the home team to the foul line. After Jason Richards increased the Wildcat lead to 81-77 with 18 seconds to play, Stachitas nailed a 3-pointer at :12 to pull the Hawks within one. Brendan Winters made two free throws to increase the Davidson lead to 83-80 with 10 seconds left.

The Hawks worked the ball and Abdulai Jalloh missed on a 3-pointer with :02 to go, but Dwayne Lee got the rebound to Mallon who swished it from the top of the key as time expired.

Davidson grabbed the momentum at the beginning of the extra period and scored five straight points to put the Hawks in an 88-83 hole. The Wildcats would lead by as much as eight points, and SJU could come no closer than 92-89.

"We played all of those end of game situations just like we practice them every day. Dwayne Lee did a good job getting that ball to Dave and that's all you can ask, that you give the players a chance to extend the game," said SJU coach Phil Martelli. "The slow starts in each of the halves and the overtime cost us. There should've been a carryover from the end of regulation into overtime and that didn't happen."

Stachitas shot 10-for-11 from the foul line while freshman Ahmad Nivins was 10-for-10 at the line, to mark his first career game in double figures with 14 points, while grabbing nine rebounds.

"I'm proud of Chet and although he missed his first few shots, he stayed with it. All of his looks are good looks and he does what a senior is supposed to do. He should be applauded for his good play, not just because he scored 25 points," said Martelli.

Davidson led 40-33 at halftime, but Dwayne Lee scored all of his career-high 18 points in the final 25 minutes. Mallon scored 13 in game, shooting 5-for-7 from the field.

Ian Johnson led Davidson with 23 points while Winters scored 22.

Rob Ferguson started out strong for the Hawks, making 4-of-5 shots in the first half and finishing the game with 13 points, before fouling out late in regulation.

Davidson's biggest lead of the game was 11 points early in the second half.

Saint Joseph's made 30 of 34 free throws while Davidson was 28-for-34 from the line.

SJU will take on Drexel (3-3) on Tuesday evening, November 29, in a doubleheader at the Palestra. The Hawks and Dragons meet at 6 p.m. with Penn hosting Colorado in the second game at 8:30 p.m.