Quarles, Jones Help Men's Basketball to Win over Norfolk State, 70-65
Courtesy: SJU Athletic Communications  
Release:  11/20/2010

Nov. 20, 2010

PHILADELPHIA - Freshman Daryus Quarles had 17 points and sophomore Carl Jones scored 16 to lead Saint Joseph's over Norfolk State, 70-65, in the opening game of the Philly Hoop Group Classic at Hagan Arena. It was the Hawks' first victory of the season.

Quarles made 4-of-5 3-pointers, with a number of key baskets, for the first double-figure game of his career. Jones made 8-of-8 free throws in the final minute as the Hawks (1-2) held off the visiting Spartans (1-2), and finished with an 11-for-12 effort from the line.

The Hawks trailed in the early going, by as much as five points, but took their first lead of the game, 20-19, on a jumper by Quarles. Norfolk State regained the lead quickly, 21-19, but the Hawks would score the next five points, which included Ronald Roberts dunking the offensive rebound off his own missed shot. A jumper by Langston Galloway gave the Hawks a 28-24 halftime lead.

A 3-pointer by C.J. Aiken at the start of the second half gave the Hawks a 31-24 lead, but Norfolk State went on a 7-0 run, with five points from Rob Hampton to knot the score at 31. After a 33-33 tie Quarles made a free throw and hit another three-pointer to push the Hawks' lead to 37-33.

Norfolk State would force one more tie, 41-41, at 11:27, on a dunk by Pendarvis Wiliams. Todd O'Brien's layup would push the Hawks ahead again and with 5:18 to play, Quarles hit another three to give SJU a 53-46 cushion.

The Spartans closed to within two points one more time, 55-53, on a three from Hampton, but Jones answered for the Hawks with a jumper at 2:43 before starting his trips to the foul line.

NSU outshot the Hawks, hitting 43.1 percent in the game to the Hawks' 38.2%, but the visitors only hit 10-of-17 from the foul line, while SJU went 22-for-27.

"The performance at the defensive end in the last four minutes was not acceptable and we have been progressive better defensively but that was a setback. The last four minutes was not what would be necessary particularly if you're on the road. It was an experience, a different experience to get a win and now we have to get better," said Hawk coach Phil Martelli. "In the first half I thought there were too many jumpers. We are not good at the long-range shooting game so we need to attack the rim and not just shoot jumpers."

Saint Joseph's continues play in the tournament on Tuesday, November 23 at Fairfield. The Hawks will then take on Rutgers in the final game on Friday, November 26 at The Palestra, while Norfolk State will meet Fairfield in the first game of Friday's doubleheader.