Sept. 12, 2006
PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Big 5 Athletic Directors have reached an agreement on the extension of the round-robin format for men,s and women,s basketball through the 2009-2010 season.
"This agreement keeps alive one of college basketball,s richest traditions," said Temple University director of athletics Bill Bradshaw. "The spirit of camaraderie in the city of Philadelphia among the five schools is unique, and one to be celebrated and cherished."
Bradshaw will serve in the role of Chairman to the Big 5, a one-year position that will rotate among the Big 5 athletic directors. The position will oversee the office that is run on a day-to-day basis by assistant director Meaghann Schulte. Paul Rubincam will be a special consultant to the Big 5.
"We are grateful for the service that Paul Rubincam has given to the Big 5," Bradshaw stated. "His leadership, especially during our 50th Anniversary year, has been instrumental in maintaining and furthering the organization."
At least four of the 10 games on the 2006-07 Big 5 men's schedule will be played at one of the nation's most historic arenas, The Palestra. The first Big 5 game of the 2006-07 men,s season will be Saturday, December 2nd as the Penn Quakers host the Wildcats of Villanova at The Palestra. The remainder of the schedules are listed below.
2006-07 Men's Home/Away Schedule
- Dec. 2 - Villanova at Penn (P)
- Dec. 23 - Villanova at La Salle
- Dec. 30 - Temple at Villanova
- Jan. 10 - Saint Joseph's at Temple
- Jan. 18 - Penn at La Salle
- Jan. 24 - Temple at Penn (P)
- Jan. 27 - Penn at Saint Joseph's (P)
- Feb. 4 - La Salle at Temple
- Feb. 6 - Saint Joseph's at Villanova
- Feb. 10 - Saint Joseph's at La Salle (P)
2006-07 Women's Home/Away Schedule
- Nov. 14 - La Salle at Villanova
- Nov. 21 - La Salle at Penn
- Dec. 3 - Villanova at Penn
- Dec. 22 - Temple at Villanova
- Dec. 29 - Temple at Penn
- Jan. 3 - Villanova at Saint Joseph's
- Jan. 12 - La Salle at Saint Joseph's
- Jan. 24 - Penn at Saint Joseph's
- Jan. 28 - Temple at Saint Joseph's
- Feb. 12 - La Salle at Temple