Hawks Fall To No. 17 Colonials, 82-70
Courtesy: SJU Athletic Communications  
Release:  01/14/2006

Jan. 14, 2006

Box Score

WASHINGTON (AP) - Carl Elliott scored a career-high 20 points and No. 17 George Washington held Saint Joseph's scoreless for nearly six minutes in the first half of the Colonials' 82-70 victory Saturday.

It was a welcome breather for GW (12-1, 3-0 Atlantic 10), which needed to rally from second-half deficits to win its previous two games in overtime. After the second of those, against Saint Louis on Wednesday, Colonials coach Karl Hobbs chastised the home fans for booing his players.

But there were only cheers from the announced crowd of 4,356 on Saturday during the rematch of last year's A-10 tournament championship game, also won by George Washington.

On Saturday, GW never trailed and led by as many as 21 points against Saint Joseph's (6-7, 1-3), which has lost four of five.

Danilo Pinnock scored 13 of his 18 points in the first half, when the Colonials took control, in large part because the Hawks were 1-for-11 on 3-pointers. GW's Mike Hall finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds, and Pops Mensah-Bonsu scored 13.

When the Hawks tried to come back in the second half, Hall and Elliott went a combined 5-for-5 on 3-pointers.

Chet Stachitas and Dwayne Lee led Saint Joseph's with 14 points apiece; Stachitas scored all of his in the second half. Abdulai Jalloh, the Hawks' top scorer, was held to nine points on 2-for-8 shooting, with the Colonials constantly switching defensive responsibilities on the guard.

George Washington limited Saint Joseph's to 29 percent shooting from the field in the first half.

Saint Joseph's opened the second half with an 11-3 run to pull within 41-34, thanks to three 3-pointers by Stachitas, who missed all four of his first-half shots.

But Hall answered with a 3-pointer and long jumper that put GW back up by 10 points. The visitors never got closer.

Mensah-Bonsu set the defensive tone for the hosts right away, drawing a charge on Jalloh on the Hawks' opening possession of the game.

Repeatedly, GW's tight defense would force Saint Joseph's to get its offense going late in 35-second shot clock. At least three times, Colonials blocked shots as time was running out for the Hawks.

Pinnock had seven points during a 12-0 run that put George Washington ahead 32-13. He capped the spurt with a steal and end-to-end run for a soaring dunk that prompted Hawks coach Phil Martelli to call a timeout with 5:10 left in the half.

Jalloh ended the visitors' scoring drought with a baseline jumper with 4:39 to go, but GW led 38-23 at halftime.